Sunday, October 10, 2010

A world less traveled?




Sitting in the first week of October'2010, the Commonwealth Games kick started pretty well. Anticipating the traffic jams and other restrictions, I decided to take a mini vacation to Bangkok and Pattaya. And oh boy! I did not think that I would be running away from one set of crowd and land straight to another one.

Reaching the airport, I see a long queue of people, and guess what? They all were traveling to Thailand. Wow, that was not the most interesting piece of news. Though it did seem like a Deja Vu, and now I know why. I remembered a reading a comment in a newspaper by Ketaki Behl, Director of Indraprastha Travels
"Most of the people, even corporates, are heading towards Europe or south-east Asia, particularly Bangkok during the Commonwealth break"
This was not good, I was running away from the crowd for some relaxation, and here I meet more crowd alas!. If that was not enough, the flight seemed like a modified zoo with kids running around and their mothers yelling  'Ae susant, skirt wali aunty se thora campa cola la na' ( literally translating to please get coke from the lady in the skirt = air hostess). So after all this I had my fingers crossed for a good trip ahead.

The feel of Pattaya was good, because I am a beach baby. But I did pretty much feel at home with all the Indians around. When I excitedly land up a the Coral Island, I head a voice which is familiar, that was of my neighbour, Deepa Aunty. Was I thrilled, irritated or just numb was a question I repeatedly asked myself. Well can I safely say that the world is a small place after all? Now good, bad or just fine, phoren  trip was accomplished right? The dreams of the relaxation were shattered soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. totally sympathise with you...i remember running into bands of bhaiyas and bhabhijis wearing sports shoes with salwars on a beach in istanbul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the worst was bumping into my neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha!!! true the haryana people traveling with us!

    ReplyDelete